It seems that, even in the Flidas repository, the version of GlassFish that is included is extremely old. The version of the 'glassfish-javaee' package is given as 1:2.1.1. I'm not actually sure if that means version 1 or 2, but the most recent version is 5, which was released last year.

Does anyone know if it is because it just hasn't been updated in Ubuntu, or are there freedom issues with later versions?

For those that don't know, GlassFish is the free reference implementation of Java Enterprise Edition (EE). Me and one of my friends are toying with the idea of trying to design a client-server web game (free software, of course!), and I am thinking about coding the server part in Java.

Anyway, I guess I can just download the latest version from here?