> The point is that if you can spare RAM, ideally, you should be using all of it. In a perfect world, the programs you're running would use every byte of RAM available and then release it to new programs as they launch. We of course don't live in a perfect world, so some inefficiency (i.e. leaving RAM unused) is inevitable. Thankfully, Linux makes use of that RAM for disk caching while it waits to allocate it to a program, so it's not a total loss.

I don't know what your programming experience is but your expectations of efficiency are contrary to the basic programming principle: that a program should use only as much memory as it actually needs for completing the task and that memory usage should be optimized.

Occupying as much RAM as possible just because there is free RAM is meaningless. You seem to assume that just because RAM is faster than HDD we should fill up every single bit of it. That is just as incorrect as saying that you must always use all CPU registers even if a simple assembler operation (like MOV AX,BX) requires only 2 registers. Of course it is much faster to use CPU registers than RAM but efficiency in programming is the art of optimizing resource usage, not of wasting resources.

Further: RAM's speed is not infinite and RAM access is sequential. If a program has to manipulate huge memory blocks that will surely be slower. The Linux kernel can be tuned to work in direction of keeping more memory free (swapping more aggressively) or to keep cache in RAM for longer.

https://www.suse.com/documentation/opensuse114/book_tuning/data/cha_tuning_memory_vm.html

Obviously on a system with less RAM (e.g. 2GB) you would want to have more free memory at all times for the reasons I explained earlier. On a system with more memory (e.g. 16GB) you can keep more data cached in RAM but that doesn't mean that programs should simply occupy lots or all because there is plenty of it and/or because RAM is faster than HDD.

> RAM doesn't "fragment" in any meaningful way. It's random-access.

RAM does fragment. Being random access has nothing to do with fragmentation. It is more time consuming to manage scattered memory blocks and thousand of pointers than reading a whole block at once. Each reading and writing to memory takes CPU cycles, so the less memory you use, the faster your program will be. So it is not that your whole 16GB of RAM are available at a single CPU cycle. Computers are discrete systems and although some resources can be paralleled, each discrete system works sequentially and the frequency matters (that's why there are people who do overclocking etc).

So back to what lightweight means: Usually that implies low resource usage, not exhausting every single bit of the system (which creates a heavy weight for the system).