If it's work-related then this is your employer's computing. If they want you
to use proprietary software for their computing they should provide their own
machine for you to use. If they don't do this, the next best thing is to find
another computer to use. One of my jobs is for my university and requires
occasional use of Flash. I use a university computer to do this. A public
library would work too. It sounds like that won't work for you though, since
you need to install a piece of expensive software for long-term use. Do you
have access to a spare computer? If not, buying a cheap one will be a tiny
expense compared to the cost of the software. That way, you can use that
machine soley for this task and have no other personal data on it or use it for
any of your personal computing. I do not advise installing proprietary software
on your personal machine.

That said, I strongly encourage you to use OpenDroneMap for as many tasks as
possible and only use one of the proprietary programs when you absolutely have
to. Since you consider this a valuable learning opportunity, I assume you plan
to use what you learn in the future. If this becomes part of your life, and you
rely on proprietary software to do it, you will not have control over that part
of your life. You may even reach a point where you are not just learning about
this field but also contributing to it, at which point control over your
computing will help to ensure that your contributions benefit society rather
than harm it.

Have you asked the developers how close they are to implementing GPU support? I
couldn't find any info with a brief search, but there is a support chat here
https://gitter.im/OpenDroneMap/generalhelp