[TIC]
I believe email security is generally exaggerated to no extent. It shouldn't be quite so difficult to achieve reasonable security in terms of email messaging (ignoring other uses of internet for the sake of discussion).

If you simply merely...

* Use only pure libre and audited hardware
* Use only pure libre and audited software
* Encrypt your emails with GPG
* Ensure that there is no back doors to the encryption algorithm you use
* Ensure that your keys are safe
* Ensure that all of the above also true for your correspondents

...then you can expect to have reasonably good email security and privacy.
It's quite as very simple as that!
It is beyond me why people make a fuss about it.
[/TIC]