> just subscribe to the newsgroup above and you will have these instant benefits

I downloaded the Pan Newsreader and put that address you mentioned in. It does nothing whatsoever. It says that "Getting group list from 'nntp://news.gmane.org/gmane.linux.distributions.gnu-linux-libre'" is a queued task. It also says I have "no connections"

I've never used Usenet. By the time I was old enough to understand how to use the Internet, the Web had completely superseded Usenet already in practice. But if I'm understanding what's going on correctly, that task is queued because I have no connections, because my ISP (like most ISPs) does not offer Usenet as a service. Please correct me if I'm wrong.