I fully agree with what Fbit wrote in their reply, especially the bit about being properly informed about *everything* being a fulltime job, and seldom worth your time. But I hope you don't mind if I add my 2 cents.

Firstly, as a general rule-of-thumb, the further news is published from where you live, the more it's contents are likely to be subject to propaganda (and the less likely they are to be directly useful to you). A neighbourhood newsletter produced by people in that neighbourhood will tend to be pretty reliable, because they are writing about things they have direct knowledge of. Traditional news conglomerates, whose audience is the population of a whole country or everyone in the world in a language group (eg all English speakers), are only as reliable as their sources. Also, they are a high priority target for propagandists of all kinds.

Secondly, as FBit says, when deciding how seriously to take the contents of an article, it's worth considering the motives of the writer and the publisher. In Aotearoa (NZ) where I come from, many of the so-called "community newspapers" are actually owned by the same company that owns and operates many of the daily newspapers in the major cities (Fairfax). The articles in these "local" newspapers are often slanted towards the interests of the corporations that advertise in the major dailies, and I treat them with much more scepticism than I would articles in a genuinely community-run newspaper.

With print publications and broadcast media, finding out who actually owns and operates them can require a bit of research. On the internet, finding the publisher of an article is often as easy as stripping the URL back to the domain name (eg stripping the URL of this page back to "trisquel.info"), and sometimes removing any subdomains (eg stripping layers.openembedded.org back to openembedded.org). Usually, an "about" page will give you some information about the publisher, and looking them up on sites like SourceWatch.org and PowerBase.info can reveal information they don't want you to know about their ownership and funding. More online research aids can be found here:
https://www.coactivate.org/projects/drillingfortruth/online-research-aids

Hope some of that is useful.