"Also though, the updates are much more infrequent, especially icedove. which last I checked is still at 38.8 on trisquel 7."

This is what I don't get. I get that processing Ubuntu to flush out unfree software is labor intensive. I get that the transition from GNOME Fallback to MATE is an extra effort beyond the usual update. So I get how Trisquel 8 development has been throttled due to shortage of available man-hours, with Quidam having a full time job, and some but not enough other volunteer coders and testers.

What I don't get is why programs, especially apps such as Icedove, that are already known to be libre aren't automatically updated in the Trisquel repositories. Why isn't that a "push" process?