> Rather than only telling you how, I'm going to walk you through the problem solving process by which I figured out how. You'll notice that I don't really know what I'm doing. I just try things, figure out why they didn't work, fix the problem, and repeat until everything works. I suggest you learn to do this approach too. You can get pretty far with it.

Nice!

> First we need a copy of the source code. We will use git to make a clone of the repository on our machine.

$ sudo apt install git
$ cd path/to/somewhere
$ git clone https://github.com/PlayOnLinux/POL-POM-4

This I understand.

> I notice there is a directory called bin.

Aha, so "bin"-folder are what to look for when building?

> After we build the program, binaries should appear here.

Well aren't there already something there? "check_dd_amd64.bz2 check_dd_x86.bz2"?

> I also see something called Makefile. A makefile tells GNU Make how to build the program. Let's try using make now.

Aha :)

> We get an error:

./src/check_direct_rendering.c:33:19: fatal error: GL/gl.h: No such file or directory

Well I got something slightly different:

gcc -O2 ./src/check_direct_rendering.c -o ./bin/playonlinux-check_dd -lGL -lX11
make: gcc: Command not found
Makefile:47: recipe for target 'build' failed
make: *** [build] Error 127

But I searx'd "make: gcc: Command not found". Someone suggested to install gcc, so I did.

Now $ make gives me:

gcc -O2 ./src/check_direct_rendering.c -o ./bin/playonlinux-check_dd -lGL -lX11 ./src/check_direct_rendering.c:31:22: fatal error: X11/Xlib.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
Makefile:47: recipe for target 'build' failed
make: *** [build] Error 1

Which still isn't quite like the error message you get. But very close. The main thing here seems be this: "fatal error: X11/Xlib.h: No such file or directory", but that tells me nothing. Now I am lost. Stranded on an island.

But anyway, let's suppose I got the same error message as you up to this point:

I still can't fathom how you from this message: "./src/check_direct_rendering.c:33:19: fatal error: GL/gl.h: No such file or directory"

are like: "Oh yeah totally. Looks like the development libraries for opengl are required and I don't have them installed. Let's fix that and try again.

$ sudo apt install libgl1-mesa-dev" :P

Haha, but anyway. Don't interpret this as a token of ungratefulness. I really do appreciate the effort you put in this walkthrough for me. But because of factors I suppose neither you or me could've known about, it doesn't "walk me all the way through".

But maybe ... maybe perhaps you are able to solve the error I got?

If not: that's okay! :) Thank you anyway