I'm trying to unpack a RAR archive in Trisquel 7. I assume it is the current RAR format version 5.

I'v tried both unrar-free and unar. The former reports back...

"unknown archive type, only plain RAR 2.0 supported(normal and solid archives), SFX and Volumes are NOT supported!"

...while the output of the latter is:

   "Couldn't recognize the archive format."

Then I tried to install the debian Stretch package of the current version of unar (unar_1.10.1-1+b1_amd64.deb) which should be able to handle RAR v5. Using gdebi, it refused to install, stating unmet dependency: libgnustep-base1.24 (>=1.24.7)

I'm running out of ideas. How can I unpack a RAR v5 archive?
Thanks in advance for your help.