HP Pro and NUC. I've had this happen on both machines with the same USB wireless dongle. USB ports type 2 and 3.

OS: Trisquel 8. I can't recall it happening on Trisquel 7. I noticed this after trying Trisquel 8. I'm now on T8.

Dongle make and chip: TP-LINK TL-WN722N Qualcomm Atheros Communications AR9271 802.11n. It works flawlessly on T8. Only the symbol seems to be schizophrenic.

My dongle is first shown as 'wired' when I start my computer and launch Trisquel. If I log out and back in, then it's shown as 'wireless'. If I restart, it's back to 'wired'. When erratic, the network manager doesn't show active or available wireless connections.

If I remove the dongle and reinsert it, it shows up correctly as 'wireless' and available wireless SSIDs are detected again.