Thanks for the reply.
I installed it from the repos, not sure you did the same? Is it the latest version? I don't know. The game actually crashed on me once but during the gameplay and because of a "bug" (basically I went through a wall and the game couldn't deal with that, so it crashed). But other than that I can play the game at any graphics level, the only issue is that the karts disappear after level 4 (in level 5 and up I notice that it says other player karts are animated... maybe that is the reason?). The machine might be doing it all with software, I don't know... It's a dual core 2.4, 4gbs ram DDR3. Which machine are you using?

I am a total noob in this game. I used to play it a lot back when I was using windows... about 8 or 9 years ago. So I am not very good at it now. But I still enjoy it :)