svenerik...@protonmail.com wrote:
Should this be reported.

I find this exceptionally strange considering FSF is using Icedove as an example in their "email self defense" https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/en/

What do you think ought to be reported and to whom?

As I understand it Icedove is no longer supported because Debian distributes Mozilla Thunderbird. Debian says the Debian Software Freedom Guidelines are met[1] and they moved users back to Thunderbird. Is Icedove receiving updates as Icedove? Was there something to Icedove other than branding? If there is an ongoing Icedove project, do Icedove maintainers care about the issue at the heart of your report?

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=816679

Also, is this an issue concerning Trisquel GNU/Linux or is this an issue concerning software freedom generally? If it's the latter, consider replying to freedom-m...@listas.trisquel.info instead this mailing list. As I understand it, trisquel-users@listas.trisquel.info is for discussions of issues to do with Trisquel GNU/Linux.

Since you mention the FSF's pointer to Icedove, it's worth mentioning that Icedove might be no longer supported and shouldn't be on that FSF page. That would be worth reporting to the FSF.

The FSF apparently has different and ongoing concerns regarding Mozilla Thunderbird. From https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Icedove:

Why not recommend Thunderbird? As explained in our Free Software Definition[1], all four freedoms must be available on both a commercial
and non-commercial basis. Mozilla's trademark policy serves to limit
Freedom 2 to gratis distribution only, making the software nonfree.

[1] https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

I have my own reservations about that directory entry from the FSF. The download pointer on that page is confusing. This page calls Thunderbird nonfree and then points readers to https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/releases/latest/ to download Thunderbird (indirectly via following directions in a readme.txt file).

Calling Thunderbird nonfree lumps Thunderbird in with programs one isn't permitted to inspect, modify, or share. It seems to me that if Debian can make Icedove (a Thunderbird derivative) can be free and thus worthy of mentioning by name in https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/en/ it ought to be more clearly separated from a program such as Microsoft Outlook which users are not permitted to inspect, modify, or share.