I'm looking to install GNU/Linux on a mid-2009 MBP (5,4). Which distribution would you recommend in terms of the greatest compatibility with the hardware? Ideally, I would want T8, but if certain hardware is not recognised by it, I would be stuck, wouldn't I?

Also, for those who have GNU/Linux installed, did you keep the macOS partition or did you erase everything? I'm asking because I'm wondering, in relation to the latter scenario, from where I could get a copy of macOS, assuming that I did not clone the existing partition, if I decide to install it again?