I solved the issue. I'll post the solution just for others that might have the same issue:

1. As said before I deleted indicator applet:

sudo apt remove mate-indicator-applet

At this stage you should have Telegram responding correctly but no volume tray icon and you get an error on startup.

2a. Then I edited the current panel config file, in my case the trisquel layout, check mate-tweak to see what you are using:

sudo nano /usr/share/mate-panel/layouts/trisquel.layout

2b. Inside the config file remove:
[Object indicatorappletcomplete]
object-type=applet
applet-iid=IndicatorAppletCompleteFactory::IndicatorAppletComplete
toplevel-id=bottom
position=20
panel-right-stick=true
locked=true

Now save and close the file.

3. In mate-tweak I switched from my current panel to another one and again back to my panel (the edited one). This is done just to refresh the changes (reboot didn't do it)

4. Right click on the panel-> add to panel -> Notification Area

5. Reboot, no error, volume is there and telegram reacts on left single click.