> Does anyone have an 'easy to follow'
> tutorial for flashing some of the thinkpad models?

Most require external flashing, which I'm afraid to try. However, the X60 can
be flashed internally. I was fortunate enough to coincidentally already have an
X60 when I discovered the free software movement, and I was able to flash
libreboot in about 20 minutes despite being a complete beginner to all of this.

There are both 32-bit and 64-bit X60's. I recommend obtaining a 64-bit model if
you can. I also replaced the HDD with a SSD, which helps. I haven't bothered
upgrading the RAM, because 2GB is enough for me, but I think the X60 can handle
up to 3 or 4 if you need that.

I've finally ordered an Atheros AR5B95 WiFi card, with which I'll replace the
Intel WiFi card that doesn't work without proprietary software. Until now I've
been using a USB dongle. Replacing the WiFi card doesn't seem too intimidating,
and I'm hoping it will perform better than the USB dongle. If you try this,
make sure you do it *after* flashing libreboot, as the proprietary factory BIOS
won't boot if you replace the card.