> I'd be interested to hear any
> suggestions in trying to find and strip out the non-libre parts from
> openSUSE. Possibly it's just an impossible task, but I think it would be fun
> to try.

Plasma shouldn't be a problem. It's LGPL and included in Trisquel. Since you've
already taken care of the kernel, these are the questions I'd ask:

(1) Does YaST avoid recommending or helping to install proprietary software?
(2) Can openSUSE's "repository of nonfree software"[1] be completely disabled?
(3) Is openSUSE committed to keeping proprietary software out of their main
repository?
(4) Does all free software in the main repository work without nonfree
dependencies and avoid recommending free software?

If the answer to all of these is "yes" then I think replacing the kernel and
disbling the nonfree repository should result in a free system. Otherwise, you
may have to check licenses manually and/or investigate software behavior, at
which point I'd say it's probably not worth it.