Caleb Herbert wrote:
AVideo is out of date with upstream youtube-dl by a long shot, and will
not download any videos for me.

It works for me despite being out of date. In case there was an avideo alias I ran the program as "\avideo".

$ \avideo --version
2017.9.27

$ \avideo 'https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9YDz-Iwgyw'
[youtube] n9YDz-Iwgyw: Downloading webpage
[youtube] n9YDz-Iwgyw: Downloading video info webpage
[youtube] n9YDz-Iwgyw: Extracting video information
WARNING: video doesn't have subtitles
[download] Destination: Reclaim your freedom with free libre software now - Richard Stallman of Free Software Movement-n9YDz-Iwgyw.f248.webm
[...]

I was left with a file named "Reclaim your freedom with free libre software now - Richard Stallman of Free Software Movement-n9YDz-Iwgyw.f248.mkv" containing a VP9 video track, an Opus audio track, and the file plays without problem.