If you're still trying to get Compiz to work, I've started looking into it for
a friend who wants wobbly windows.

> Now, the only remaining problem is that Compiz removes all window
> shadows, window borders/decorations/title bars

In compizconfig-settings-manager, under Window Decoration, the default command
is /usr/bin/gtk-window-decorator. This command crashes for the default Trisquel
theme. I haven't been able to figure out what program was handling window
decorations with Metacity, but a workaround is to use a different theme.

> virtual desktops

The MATE Workspace Switcher doesn't work with Compiz. To increase the number of
workspaces from one, in CCSM go to General Options -> Desktop Size, and
increase Horizontal Virtual Size.

> can't move windows even when I Alt click on a window's body.

I had this problem during the session in which I switched from Metacity to
Compiz, but Alt worked next session.