Update: I returned the Win-10 T420 for credit and set about solving the pop-up email
problem.

Here's what didn't work: Move the profiles.ini file and gibberish.default folder to a safe place (to a folder I called IceDoveFiles in another HDD inside the "old" T420) with terminal's mv command, using two open terminal windows side-by-side to reduce the chance of sending something to oblivion. Uninstall icedove; restart the 'puter; reinstall icedove. Alas, as soon as I try to open a folder with trisquel's file manager, that pesky window pops up again. As an interesting aside, that caused another profiles.ini file to appear in .icedove before I has a chance to move the correct profiles.ini file back where it belongs; I renamed the intervening profiles.ini file
to avoid any conflict.

Here's my workaround: The pesky email window does _not_ appear with the alternative
file manager, PCManFM, so I have a working file manager.

Thoughts on cleansing trisquel's default file manager ?

Thanks
George Langford