>    Anyway, I installed Trisquel on a usb stick and on one computer the
> wifi doesn't work.  The other I booted it on the the wifi worked fine.
> From what I gather, that might mean the one it didn't work on probably
> doesn't have a free wifi driver available, and, the one it does have a
> free wifi driver available. Anyone know if that's correct?

Specifically it means that there was no free driver when Linux (the
kernel) version 4.4 (the default version in Trisquel 8) was released.
It is possible (no promises) that upgrading to a newer kernel version
could get your WiFi card working.

Try booting back into Trisquel on the computer without working WiFi,
open a terminal with Ctrl+Alt+T, and run

$ lspci | grep Network

(Type "lspci | grep Network" and press Enter)

This will print information about your WiFi card to the terminal.
Copy/paste that information to this thread.

If there is still no free driver for your WiFi card, you might be able
to replace it with a WiFi card for which there is a free driver.
However, sometimes the computer's proprietary BIOS will not allow you to
install an unauthorized WiFi card, so if none of the approved WiFi cards
have free drivers either then you are out of luck. What is your laptop
model?

If all else fails, you can buy a USB WiFi dongle like this one.[1]
However, since WiFi works on one of your computers, you might as well
start by installing Trisquel on that one.

[1]
https://www.thinkpenguin.com/gnu-linux/penguin-wireless-n-usb-adapter-gnu-linux-tpe-n150usb