What Debian did for Lilypond looks like the way to go. It prevents newly installed systems and systems that were not updated during the past week to suffer from the problem. For those who updated, I suggested in https://trisquel.info/forum/volunteer-write-more-regular-blog-posts-trisquelinfo#comment-144246 a post on the main website, maybe more visible than in the forum. After the addition of the (fake) updated version of NetworkManager to the repository, the terminal-free instructions for the MATE edition of Trisquel would become:

Plug an Ethernet cable;
Specify the IP address of any DNS server (for instance FDN's server: 80.67.169.12) in the DNS tab of "Network", in MATE's "Control Center";
Install the updates from the "Software Updater", in "Control Center."

That last step is much easier for a non-technical user (like my mother) than typing 'sudo apt install network-manager=1.2.6-0ubuntu0.16.04.3 wpasupplicant=2.4-0ubuntu6.6' and 'sudo apt-mark hold network-manager wpasupplicant' without a typo. :-)