Better to view this as a security feature rather than a sign of failure. My own ThinkPenguin dongle experiences broken connections now & then, more so when I've got multiple nMap scans going on. No data is ever lost; and the scans pick up right where they left off when the connection is re-made. Unplugging & then reconnecting the dongle re-makes the connection OK ... if it doesn't, use a different USB port to wake it up.

I also have a Think Penguin extended-coverage device, which has the accessory antenna for boosting coverage. If I'm using them while I'm running the nMap scans, the connection breaks more frequently, confirming the cause: too many competing WiFi installations. Disconnecting the antenna helps a lot; the coverage drops dramatically, but connects to my own router reliably.

That said, my connection indicator never lies to me: if the fan is blank, there's no connection; if there are multiple "waves" it's connected.

I'm using Trisquel flidas on a ThinkPad T420 and the "Indicator Applet Complete 1.12.1" See http://www.mate-desktop.org