I have downloaded the 2020-04-21 version of trisquel-mini_9.0_amd64.iso from http://jenkins.trisquel.info/makeiso-etiona/iso/ because I assumed that it is a working (if unfinished) version intended to be tried out. Can I check if everything went well by comparing the contents of http://jenkins.trisquel.info/makeiso-etiona/iso/trisquel-mini_9.0_amd64.iso.sha256 against the output of this?: openssl dgst -sha256 trisquel-mini_9.0_amd64.iso

I ask because they do not match. Is this expected? Installation has failed, the details of which will make up the remainder of this post.

I tried to use the ISO to make a bootable thumb drive, which seems to work well initially. I selected the "live" option but used F6, Escape to edit the string of words, where I changed "splash" to "nosplash" which seems to succeed in suppressing the beautiful splash screen (with water drops and an inconspicuously pulsating Trisquel logo) that otherwise seems to hide progress during much of the preparation, and changed "quiet" to "verbose" because that's just how I roll. As the live system was being prepared, at one point, the magic seemed to want network access and continued as soon as I had plugged an internet cable into a fitting plug, with internet at the far end. But alas, a little later it hanged for minutes at this line: [ OK ] Started Update UTMP about System Runlevel Changes. After waiting a few minutes, I did not expect any progress and aborted the whole thing by using, I think, ESC or the power button.

When, instead of choosing the "live" option, I chose to install straight away, a message very soon popped up informing me that installation had failed because an unrecoverable error had occurred. The message also said something about the possibility to use a command line to investigate the matter. I closed the pop-up, got the ASCII art Trisquel with a login prompt underneath, entered "trisquel" as ID, nothing as passphrase, and got a command line where I told the computer to "shutdown now".