Again, thanks for the detailed explanation.

Chaosmonk:
> This isn't really accurate.

OK, that's why I introduced my sample warning text with the words "something like" ;) Given what you're explained, how about displaying something like this in Synaptic on first use:

"Synaptic displays all packages available in the repositories on your system. This includes not only apps, but also libraries, artwork, development files, drivers, or other kinds of data which are only meant to be accessed by programs that require them. If you only want to add or remove apps, try Add/Remove Applications".

FWIW I think "Add/Remove Apps" would be a better text for the menu item than "Add/Remove Applications". Most people are familiar with "apps" as a term for the end user programs they install on mobile devices.