We need to consider the type of justification James is referring to here.  The context is talking about the relationship between the Christian and his neighbor.  In context James is saying that we are justified before man by our good works.  Paul uses the same example in Romans 4 with Abraham.  This
chapter shows that man is justified before God on the basis of faith, not works.  Our good works show other people we are already saved.

"Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and NOT BY FAITH ONLY."
(Jam 2:24)