John,

Here is just one review article I found on PubMed:

J Clin Child Adolesc Psychol. 2004 Mar;33(1):54-68.

Temperament and developmental pathways to conduct problems.

Frick PJ, Morris AS.

This article reviews research linking a number of temperamental vulnerabilities to the development of severe conduct problems in children. Also reviewed are 2 areas of research that focus on important developmental processes that could mediate the relation between temperament and conduct problems. These processes are the development of emotional regulatory abilities and the development of the affective components of conscience. Both of these processes have been associated with certain temperamental vulnerabilities, and they can both place a child at risk for the development of conduct problems. Importantly, these 2 processes may designate children who develop conduct problems through distinct causal pathways and, as a result, could help to explain some of the subtypes of antisocial youth reported in past research.

PMID: 15028541 [PubMed - in process]

To find similar studies go to the PubMed site at:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi

and type in “conscience”. The National Library of Medicine (MedLine) is a data base of all major and most minor US and international peer-reviewed medical research since 1956.

Izzy