From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Hi Judy, (and Izzy – please see my comments below) I certainly do not mind pointing you to someone who put into words a representation of my thoughts better than I could have written them myself. When I read Bill's post I was happy that I could point you to an explanation that would have been more understandable than anything I would have written.
Putting my thoughts into written words is not my gift.  That is something I very much need to work at and in that hopefully build my confidence.

jt: Well Sherrie since you have a problem in this area yourself then hopefully you will be kind enough to be merciful to me also.

(I will admit, Judy, that you haven’t helped me in this area. You can be quite harsh and intimidating.)  It has also been the reason I’ve been hesitant to send in posts to TT.

jt: I can't imagine why you would come to such a conclusion Sherrie, this is not my heart and so I have to wonder what kind of an influence you are or have been under. We know so little about you.  Of course if you are an active or latent Calvinist or unsure about what you personally believe then I can understand the battle... but I am not your problem. Do I detect some accusation in what you write?  Have you seen me flame anyone here so far?

My comfort zone was/is in using TT as a learning tool: reading all the awesome, thought provoking information on here that all who post on TT have contributed; reading all the different opinions that without this site I would not have access to. What a great opportunity this forum is!  I’ve looked at two other Christian sites where people can write in and post
their ideas and this site stands out to me. What saddens me is that for the last two months while reading the posts on TT the incredible information on here is many times lost to detrimental comments because people disagree with each others opinions.  What I’d like to point out is that TT travels further han just to those who post. It was through the archives that I was first made aware of this forum. I think Bill has said that he too found TT through the archives.

jt: Thank you for sharing Sherrie, to me then it is even more important to have both sides of the issue posted. If I were you I wouldn't swallow anything from this site without checking it out yourself in God's Word.

I have many times wanted to share this site with my brother, who likes Jesus but perceives hate coming from the Church and many Christians, to him a contradiction. I've wanted to share it with a friend in Germany, whose only exposure to Christ is through the state run Church.  He too has not placed his faith in Jesus Christ. Yet he is so considerate and so hungry for something to begin to make sense of his life. I've wanted to share TT with others as well who have questions about God. BUT I know that if I do they will walk away from this great learning tool for the simple reason that the behavior that is often demonstrated here on TT is no different than what they see in the world.

jt: Probably because there is so much of the world still in those of us who profess belief in Christ.

I know for a fact that neither my brother, nor my friend would talk to people as I have seen happen on TT, so how can I help draw them closer to the truth when we ourselves don’t behave as we are called to?  What they would see is
that what we say we believe is not how we act.  Again, we don’t look any different than what they see in the world.

jt: I have found people in the world are kinder many times than those who profess to follow Christ. I would suggest that you talk to these people since God has given you the burden; if they are meant to join the list, he can give them grace for this also.

This hurts me because TT has so much to offer them. But what is there to inspire them if we demonstrate by our behavior that we are contradictions to the grace we know?  Do we look like to them – to use Bill’s words – that we love our Lord?

jt: How do you think a person that "loves our Lord" looks Sherrie?

Getting back to your post Judy, Bill writes: "Our words have substance only in that they find their ontological status in Christ Jesus. This is why evil has no ontological status: it has no grounding in Jesus Christ." I fail to see how Bill’s words are different from or diminish the verse you have quoted below. Sherrie

jt: If you don't see it Sherrie, then what can I say?  Under the Old Covenant Israel needed priests to explain the law to them but we have a New Covenant with better promises and the Spirit of Promise has been sent not only to comfort. He also leads us into all truth. The Words of Jesus minister to us because they are spirit and we are spirit beings. If you
want to get off into intellectualism.  Oh well!  It's your choice - being religious is the other option.

So Sherrie you don't mind Bill putting words in your mouth?  It is my understanding that the words of Jesus are different from the words of Bill and Lance.  Jesus said "It is the spirit that quickeneth the flesh profiteth nothing; the words that I speak to you they are spirit and they are life" (John 6:63) - This being the case I believe Jesus words do have substance in
and of themselves and that this theological jargon is irrelevant so far as spirit and life are concerned.  judyt

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Exactly, Bill.  That is exactly how I understood it. Sherrie

Bill writes: Sherrie, as it pertains to Judy's comments about not
understanding Lance, you could say something like this:
I wouldn't want to put words in Lance's mouth, but this is kind of what I hear
him saying: if words, being what they are, were arrows, they could
not "strike" us because they have no substance in and of themselves. The
ontological status of words is not in the words themselves but in that to
which they refer.

From: Judy Taylor
Hi Sherrie, I understand Satan's fall to be pride and rebellion; a series
of "I will's" and yes he was taken with himself.. but I had no problem with
Bill's description below.  However, I still don't know what Lance was talking
about. What is the
significance of "words becoming arrows" and where does that come from? In the
parable of the sower Jesus uses seed.   Am I missing some great revelation
that you are privy to here?    Shalom  judyt

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
David wrote these words to Judy: "Bill and Lance sometimes are as if they
are ‘speaking in tongues’ around you because you do not understand their
words.  Therefore, they should try and explain their words in a way that you
can understand it."

Please help me if I've missed something, but I do not see the problem as a
lack of effort on the part of Bill and Lance to explain their terminology;
they are both quite willing and adept to do this; instead it is a lack of
openness on the receiving end to recognize it as having any value. I see it as
being not about "speaking in tongues," but about having ears to hear.

I’ve copied and pasted a couple of examples from Bill- and Lance’s posts below:

"To say that evil has no ontological status is to say that it has no status in
and of itself.
That is to say that evil is a perversion of that which is already good and
does have ontological status in Christ. This is true at whatever level, even
if we go all the way back to the beginning of evil. Lucifer's sin was a
perversion of his beauty: He saw that he was beautiful (good) and became
proud and violent (evil). Without the good (beauty) there was no occasion
for evil (‘iniquity was found within you’ -- Eze 28.15)." These were Bill's
words to Judy.

Lance wrote to Judy, "If  'ontology'
were to be applied to the contingent world then words themselves might have
a kind of ontological status. However, it's safe to say that if words were
arrows few of us are in much danger of being 'struck.'"

Sherrie