Izzy wrote:
> it is heartbreaking that he had no one there with him
> when he died-it brings tears to my eyes even as I write
> this.

Hubert was in a nursing home for the last decade of his life, but
preachers from all over the country came to visit him very frequently.
He was not really alone in the sense that you are thinking.  He truly
was one of those who had forsaken family and was forsaken by family for
the gospel's sake, and God gave him in this life many more.

When I read the following passage, I think of Hubert:

And Jesus answered and said, Verily I say unto you, There is no man that
hath left house, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife,
or children, or lands, for my sake, and the gospel's, But he shall
receive an hundredfold now in this time, houses, and brethren, and
sisters, and mothers, and children, and lands, with persecutions; and in
the world to come eternal life. But many that are first shall be last;
and the last first. (Mark 10:29-31 KJV)

He was truly one who was last in this world, but he will be first in the
world to come.

Peace be with you.
David Miller, Beverly Hills, Florida.