Hello, David.

I would like to point out something here in this thread.

A mistake made in this thread was taking an event that occurred 2,000 years ago and removing the cultural significance behind it (replacing it with modern culture from the USA). By doing so, the "threader" risks causing someone to misunderstand Yeshua.

Never was He indicating that she was a b*tch. Our Redeemer never called an individual names (that I can recall... with the possible exception of "the Fox") ... especially those seeking truth. He did, however, call [generally small] groups of religious hypocrites names.

The Hebraic understanding at the time was similar to this (I am by no means an expert):

  • The Temple was up and running at the time -- and one is NEVER allowed to enter the Temple in a state of uncleanness (notice I chose to exclude the term "ceremonially")
  • In order to make one's life much easier (because life in Jerusalem centered around the Temple), most people were very concerned with cleanliness and holiness
  • The Gentiles (specifically: unbelieving members of humanity) did not worry about cleanliness so they were usually in a constant state of uncleanness
  • Uncleanness was transferable, making one's entrance into the Temple impossible if one fell in contact with uncleanness (especially uncleanness in regards to the dead)

Gentiles (specifically: unbelieving members of humanity) were oft called dogs because dogs were unclean and always are in a state of uncleanness [especially] because their [the dogs'] licking and eating habits.

Was Yeshua calling the woman a dog?  No. Please note she was no longer a member of the unbelieving community (even though she was non-Jewish) because her faith elevated her from the stature of a Gentile. Yeshua was speaking specifically othe unbelieving members of humanity with His less-than-enduring term. His message (i.e., bread) is not meant for them, for they will trample it underfoot -- much like pearls. Instead, the message is for the believing community of humanity.

Your friend (hopefully)...

-- slade