-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Terry Clifton
Sent: Wednesday, June 23, 2004 6:13 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [TruthTalk] Christians and violence

Good morning family:  What a nice way to say hello.  Yes, I consider even rascally

old Lance to be part of my TT “family”. J

Let me start by saying that there are things I know to do and when I do

them God is pleased.

There are things I think that I should do because I think God would be

pleased.

There are things I dare not do because I know it would not please God.

This is called fundamentalist by some.

And why do some folks have such a hard time with that???

 Others call it  legalism. Duh—not what God calls it, though. I call

it denying self and following Him.

Whatever it is called, it works well when you have the answers.  It even

works fairly well when you think you have the answers.  The big problem

comes when you have a desire to live a life pleasing to the Lord, but

you are not certain how to do it.  He plainly says "I hate divorce".  He

commands us not to steal. or covet. or commit adultery.

Aren’t the Ten Commandments wonderful? They keep us from wondering what God wants us to do/not do!

No gray areas.

Easy to follow instructions.  Do what He says.  Don't do what He hates..

Then we go to war!

  Bill reopened this can of worms for me a couple of days back.  Judy

responded to it.  Both made some points, some good points, yet I was

left wondering, as I have been for a long time, as to just what God

expects of His people in time of war.  Jesus and Peter and Paul all

dealt with military men . A couple of centurions and a prison guard as I

remember.  None of them were told to give up their careers as a

condition of salvation, so it would seem that there is a place for

Christians in the military.  Still, I cannot picture Jesus leading a

bayonet charge.  He said,"Love your enemy-do good to those who hate

you-turn the other cheek.

Terry, don’t forget that in His first incarnation, Jesus came to reconcile.  In His 2nd, He comes to Judge:

Rev 3:

11   And I saw (37) heaven opened, and behold, a (38) white horse, and He who sat on it is called (39) Faithful and True, and in (40) righteousness He judges and wages war.
12   His (41) eyes are a flame of fire, and on His head are many (42) diadems; and He has a (43) name written on Him which no one knows except Himself.
13   He is clothed with a (44) robe dipped in blood, and His name is called (45) The Word of God.
14   And the armies which are in heaven, clothed in (46) fine linen, (47) white and clean, were following Him on white horses.
15   (48) From His mouth comes a sharp sword, so that (49) with it He may strike down the nations, and He will (50) rule them with a rod of iron; and (51) He treads the wine press of the fierce wrath of God, the Almighty.
16   And on His robe and on His thigh He has (52) a name written, "(53) KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS."
17   Then I saw an angel standing in the sun, and he cried out with a loud voice, saying to (54) all the birds which fly in (55) midheaven, "(56) Come, assemble for the great supper of God,
18   so that you may (57) eat the flesh of kings and the flesh of [1] commanders and the flesh of mighty men and the flesh of horses and of those who sit on them and the flesh of all men, (58) both free men and slaves, and (59) small and great."
19   And I saw (60) the beast and (61) the kings of the earth and their armies assembled to make war against Him who (62) sat on the horse and against His army.
20   And the beast was seized, and with him the (63) false prophet who (64) performed the signs (65) in his presence, by which he (66) deceived those who had received the (67) mark of the beast and those who (68) worshiped his image; these two were thrown alive into the (69) lake of (70) fire which burns with brimstone.
21   And the rest were killed with the sword which (71) came from the mouth of Him who (72) sat on the horse, and (73) all the birds were filled with their flesh.

(Keep in mind that those who don’t want to see the real Jesus will dismiss this as a metaphor.  But those who understand that the O.T. God is the same as the N.T. God don’t make that mistake.)

Somehow, this all has to fit together or it makes no sense.

Your thoughts please, with verses if possible.

I would appreciate hearing, even if, like me, you don't have the answer.

Ecc 3:

1   There is an appointed time for everything. And there is a time for every event under heaven--
2

       A time to give birth and a time to die;
          A time to plant and a time to uproot what is planted.
3
       Atime to kill and a time to heal;
          A time to tear down and a time to build up.
4
       A time to weep and a time to laugh;
          A time to mourn and a time to dance.
5
       A time to throw stones and a time to gather stones;
          A time to embrace and a time to shun embracing.
6
       A time to search and a time to give up as lost;
          A time to keep and a time to throw away.
7
       A time to tear apart and a time to sew together;
          A time to be silent and a time to speak.
8
       A time to love and a time to hate;
          A time for war and a time for peace.

Izzy