Here’s a clip from a testimony by the author (I believe) of “Betrayed”.  My oldest son emailed it today:

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/neighborhoods/stories.nsf/news/story/2D0921B03B24DD7686256F11006A2071?OpenDocument&Headline=Speaker+shares+journey+of+faith&tetl=1

Speaker shares journey of faith

Steve Pokin

Of the Suburban Journals

updated: 09/16/2004 02:32 PM

ST. CHARLES

The greatest anti-Semitism would be to withhold the story of Jesus

Christ from Jews, said Stan Telchin, featured speaker at Tuesday

morning's 10th Annual Businessmen's Prayer Breakfast of St. Charles

County.

Telchin, who is Jewish, shared his faith journey with 679 men and women

at The Columns Banquet and Conference Center in St. Charles, as well as

those listening to a live radio broadcast.

His talk, laced with humor, coincided with his 80th birthday and was

given one day before the Jewish holy day of Rosh Hashana, which marks

the Jewish new year.

Telchin is a "Messianic Jew," a person Jewish by birth who believes

Jesus Christ is the Messiah prophesied in Jewish Scripture.

Telchin grew up in Brooklyn, the youngest of six children of Orthodox

parents who left Russia to escape persecution and anti-Semitism.

Telchin said Wednesday that his Stan Telchin Ministries, which spreads

his view of Jesus as Messiah through talks and the sale of books and

tapes, is not intended to denigrate Judaism and, in his view, doesn't.

"I am absolutely for Biblical Judaism," Telchin said. "Rabbinical

Judaism is not the same thing as Biblical Judaism."

Rabbi Mordecai Miller, of Richmond Heights, said that Telchin certainly

is free to investigate his religious beliefs and become a Jewish

Christian. But Miller said he is troubled by the public way in which

Telchin has proclaimed that change and the media attention he has

gathered.

"It is a sense of one religion being a true religion," Miller said. "He

has made a choice. But it is very complicated. It involves emotions.

And you are in fact negating something in favor of something else. That

makes it a difficult thing when you set it up in public that way."

Telchin said it was 30 years ago that he went on a mission to convince

his daughter Judy, then a student at Boston College, that Jesus Christ

was not the Messiah.

Judy had recently come to that conclusion  to the great dismay of her

parents.

"How could a kid of ours betray us this way?" Telchin asked. "How could

she join the enemy?"

His daughter encouraged him to read the Bible and draw his own

conclusions.

Telchin embarked on a focused study of the Hebrew Scriptures, what

Christians call the Old Testament, as well as the New Testament, and

other written sources. He also talked to rabbis.

Telchin said he was cocksure he could prove his daughter wrong and

bring her back into the fold.

"Jews cannot believe in Jesus," he said. "You can't go north and south

at the same time."

Instead, he eventually concluded, among other things, that the passages

in the Hebrew Scripture that  in his view point to Jesus as Messiah

typically are not read or focused on in Judaic worship and teaching.

"Why didn't they ever tell us that on our side of the Bible that it

says there was going to be a new covenant?" he asked. "We Jews do not

read our Bible. We read our prayer book. We are called the 'People of

the Book,' but somebody took our book away."

Growing up, Telchin said, he had ample reason to distrust Christians

and Christianity.

In kindergarten he was called a "Christ killer," he said, and when he

was 9 a woman ordered, "Get out of my way you dirty little Kike!"

Telchin said his mother explained the world this way: There was "them,"

the "goyim," or Christians, and there was "us," the Jews.

She told him that Christians hated Jews and to stay away from them.

That's why, he said, when he sat down to read the New Testament he

expected a book of hate.

"Where else could all that hatred come from?" he asked.

He approached his task  starting with the book of Matthew  with the

notion that it wouldn't take long to debunk the idea of Jesus as

Messiah.

"I lit a cigarette and had some Jack Daniels so it wouldn't be a waste

of time," he said. "But I didn't find a book of hate. It was written by

a Jewish guy for Jewish people."

Telchin said that by the time his review brought him to the writings of

the Apostle Paul, formerly Saul, who persecuted Christians, Telchin

said he was rooting for Saul.

"I was thinking, 'Saul is going to get those Christians. Go baby! Go

get 'em!'"

But Telchin said it was both revelation and irony to him that the

message of Christ initially was viewed as something for Jews only, not

Gentiles.

"My entire worldview was based on the fact that I am Jewish and Jesus

is not for us Jews," he said. "Two thousands years ago he was for 'us'

and not for 'them.' And now he's for 'them' and not for 'us.'"

Telchin said that his conviction that Jesus is the Messiah does not

change his identity as a Jew.

"I don't want to stop being Jewish," he said. "I can't stop being

Jewish."

Steve Pokin can be reached a [EMAIL PROTECTED]