----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, October 28, 2004 1:38
Subject: Re: [TruthTalk] The Early Jewish Chrisitan Church

In a message dated 10/27/2004 10:17:51 AM Pacific Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

John wrote:
>I don't believe that there was any Gentile membership
>in the Jerusalem Church except for those who were first
>converted to Judaism.

Why would you think that after what happened with Peter in Acts 10?
Although this event happened in Caesarea, it was Peter who experienced this
and he was very involved in the Jerusalem Church.  Considering that Greeks
were allowed in the Jewish synagogue, isn't it conceiveable that some of
them would believe in Christ and yet not be expected to convert to Judaism?

Anything is possible.  But Peter comes to Cornelius in the company of representatives from the Jerusalem Church  -- alll Jews  -- none Gentile.   When they return to the Jerusalem Church,  Peter is confronted from preaching to the Gentiles.   I think the context offers am[le evidence to believe that the Jerusalem Church was Jewish.  the  letter in Acts 15 was sent to the Gentile Church meeting in places other than Jerusalem.    No mention of a Gentile Christian population in Jerusalem.   The incident in Acts 21, again, pictures a Jewish Church in Jerusalem.

John wrote:
>For my thinking, a "Judaizer" is one who is busy converting
>others to the keeping of the Law.

I think that definition is way too broad.  Surely this would make all the
apostles Judaizers, since they kept the law and encouraged others to walk
this way also.  Don't you think that by this definition, it might be argued
that Paul was a Judaizer when he circumcised Timothy?  I would define a
Judaizer as someone who believes that salvation cannot come except through
observing the deeds of the law.

I wish that you had given the entire post.   I am pretty sure I said more than what is recorded.   At any rate, what I do believe about the "Judaizer" is that he was one who converted others to the keeping of the Law as an act of saving obedience and as a "test" of fellowship.   The apostles did not do this.

John wrote:
>That there were Judaizers among the crowd is a fact,
>as well......not something I can "prove" but a crowd
>without leadership is not possible in this case and IMO.
>That they were zealous for the law does put them in
>error   --- you probably know my argumentation on this
>point before I lay it out.

No, I don't know your argumentation.  How can being zealous for the law be
an error?  Was Jesus in error because he was zealous for the law?  Was his
blood brother James in error because he was zealous for the law?

Sorry  -- I omitted "not."  We agree on this.

I think it is important to define Judaizer as someone who believes that
without keeping the law, one cannot be saved.  On the other hand, someone
who believes that salvation is through the grace of Jesus Christ and that
salvation comes to those who simply believe in Christ, they can be very
zealous of the law without being in error.  In my opinion, to think that a
Judaizer is anyone who is zealous for keeping Torah and that such a person
is in error even though he believes salvation is through faith in Christ,
well, this would be analogous to believing a person is in error for
celebrating Christmas or Passover even though he believes that salvation
comes through faith in Christ.  Is there any chance you could change your
definition of Judaizer to correspond with my definition?

The distinction as I see it concerns salvation, not one's continued walk in
Christ after salvation.  A person is saved apart from the law, but he may
then be zealous of observing the law after he has been saved.  A person who
thinks that without observing the law a person cannot be saved would be a
Judaizer, whereas someone would not be a Judaizer if they believed that
faith in Christ saves someone apart from the works of the law, but then
afterward it is a good thing to be zealous of the law.

Well written.   I agree.   But I don't see the point of one's continued observance of the Law in view of the New Law of Inwardness.   Slade and Jeff are respected by me and accepted as brothers.
Jeff here: That is the purpose of Acts 15:21. This verse is not just casually thrown into scripture. It is there for the express purpose of letting everyone know how to learn to apply Torah. When one went to worship on the Sabbath, they would hear Torah, as God work's on an individual they begin to follow God's Commandments more and more. In fact, I think all of you would be suprised at how many of the 613 you keep already!

John wrote:
>Using my definition of "Judaizer," I agree.

Ok.  Good.  But even with my definition of Judaizer, I think we are still in
agreement then.  Being zealous of the law is not error and does not make one
a Judaizer.  Are we in agreement?

Yes.

John wrote:
>But I do not think this puts us in agreement, here.
>I do not believe the "New Covenant" saints are
>required to observe any part of the Old or Mosaical
>law.   If you agree with that notion, then we have
>some sort of mutual foundation upon which to build.

Yes, I agree with that notion, but I also believe that saints who walk in
the "New Covenant" will walk in the righteousness of the law as they walk in
Christ.  I don't believe that such righteousness equates with eating pork or
not, but rather I believe that the law is spiritual and was never meant to
be taken in carnal ways.

Well, I have turned into quite the "yes" man.

John wrote:
>No I don't.   The "whole church" in Acts 15:22 is expecially those
>who were a part of the decision making process.   You are aware
>that "entire gathering" is proper interpretation of the Greek wording.
>There is nothing in the Gk wording that requires one to believe that
>the entire church, numbering in the tens of thousands, is in view in
>this context   ---   nothin in the Gk wording.

Please exegete the Greek that would lead you to this kind of thinking.  I
think the Greek very much does suggest that the decision of the apostles and
elders pleased the whole church.

"sun hole te ekklesia" means "together with / in union with the whole
ecclesia (church / assembly).

Note that there were only apostles and elders who met about the matter (Acts
15:6), but when they reached their decision, they involved the whole church
(Acts 15:22), and the whole church was pleased with their judgment.

Actually, all that pleased the "whole assembly"  (whatever or whoever that was) was the selection of those who would administer the letter.  The decisions made for the Gentile Church were made by Apostles and Elders of the Jewish Church (15:23)  --- exclusive of the "whole church."  I am sorry, DavidM but I have forgotten why we are having this particular discussion.

John wrote:
>And when one turns to the Letter  -- what does it offer in
>terms of who is involved with what?   The letter speaks
>of "apostles and the brethren (all of them) who were elders
>(15:23).

I think the Textus Receptus reads correctly here, "apostles and elders and
brethren..."

Nestles is my choice.   But, be that as it may, in the actual Gk text, the word "and" is not in the text before the word translated brothers or brethren.   The literal translation is this:  "...the apostles and elders      brethren   ......"   In view of that very literal translation, I have gone with what I have written before.

John wrote:
>In verse 24, the Letter makes reference to "some
>of our number."   What should we receive from this reference?
>I believe the implications are thus and so:   that Judaizers existed
>within the demographics of the Churched Population, that they
>continued to exist within the church (no mention of discipline),
>that they were accepted as brethren, that their teaching to the
>Gentiles was in error.

Again, the textus receptus reads better here,

Not sure why you say this, but I do not agree that it is "better."  That it is different, is certainly the case.   That such is the preferred reading may be the case.   But it is certainly not something that is the most popular view.   I have confidence in the Nestles text, supported by a number of scholars for whom I have a great deal of respect (Baure, Arnt, Geingrich, Dunker, Metzger, Aland).   I don't wish to discuss this on this forum.   Maybe a personal one on one  --- but those on this forum, for the most part, what scholarship we prefer -  some even disposed to the belief that scholarship is not important .

saying, "certain went out from

us" rather than "of our number."  Certainly there were Judaizers who existed
among the church, but I do not believe that the Holy Ghost would consider
them part of the church.  I agree with you when you say they existed "among
the demographics of the Churched Population," but that is not the same as
saying that they were accepted and respected participants of the church (the
ekklesia of God).  I do not believe that they were subjected to discipline,
but their teachings of salvation through Torah observance was rejected by
the whole Jerusalem Church.  I don't know how you can get around this.

I agree with all of the above except for last two sentences.   Acts 21 is how I "get around this."    Human nature being the way it is, the Jewish population converted to Christ and visible in the courtyard of the Temple in Acts 21 is one which did not realize that the Old Law was of no effect in terms of salvation.   It is obvious that they continued in all of the Law's requirements.   I do not believe that they would have understood that what they had believed all of their lives was somehow different with the coming and fulfillment of the Christ.   The church's leadership was much more advanced in its thinking.   That leadership included the apostles, men who had experienced the incarnate presense and counsel of the Lord along with continued revelations.

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????
It

seems clear to me that their rejection by the Jerusalem church was part of
their motivation to leave Jersusalem and try and prosyletize elsewhere,
pretending to others that the Jerusalem church sent them out.  That is why
this Acts 15 situation was so important.  It clarified to everyone that
these false teachers were NOT sent out by the Jerusalem church, and that the
Jerusalem church as a whole did not believe that Gentile believers had to
become Torah observant to be saved.

It seems to me that you do not divide between the idea of salvation through
observing the law and the idea that those who are already saved can rightly
become zealous of keeping the law.  What do you think about the importance
of this distinction to promote harmony in the body of Christ?