Just imagine if you were raised up in a all LDS culture.
You have been told that the prophet speaks as God since as far back, as you can remember.
For instance, while you may have sung "Jesus Loves me"
LDS chilgren learn songs such as "Follow the Prophet"

Here is part of that song:

Now we have a world where
people are confused.
If you don’t believe it,
go and watch the news.

Chorus
Follow the prophet, follow the prophet,
Follow the prophet; don’t go astray.
Follow the prophet; follow the prophet,
Follow the prophet; he knows the way.

We can get direction
all along our way,
If we heed the prophets—
follow what they say.

Follow the prophet, follow the prophet,
Follow the prophet; don’t go astray.
Follow the prophet; follow the prophet,
Follow the prophet; he knows the way.

The repetitive Chorus is drilled into a childs head.
Many Mormons hang a placard in their homes "Follow the Prophet"
There is a plethora of Posters and pictures, keychains, zipper pulls, cards, games, activity books, of the Prophet for sale.
Everyone needs a "I Will Follow the Prophet" Frame
Do you have your pastors picture prominately displayed in each sunday school room?
How about your living room?
I think it is spooky.
http://deseretbook.com/store/product?product_id=100031160
http://deseretbook.com/store/product?product_id=100036856
http://deseretbook.com/store/product?product_id=100038928
http://deseretbook.com/store/product?product_id=100016872
http://deseretbook.com/store/product?product_id=100036858

Maybe you need a Greeting card to send to all your friends?
http://deseretbook.com/store/product?product_id=100023059

In fact there are 5 pages of product available here:
http://deseretbook.com/store/search?search=%22follow+the+prophet%22

In fact do you see anything about Jesus in these "primary songs"?
http://deseretbook.com/store/product?product_id=100001187
  1. We Thank Thee, O God, for a Prophet
  2. General Conference
  3. The Sacred Grove
  4. Follow the Prophet
  5. The Sixth Article of Faith
  6. We Listen to a Prophet
  7. Stand for the Right
  8. Latter-day Prophets
  9. A Prophet Lives Today
  10. Keep the Commandments
Can't help but think of that other classic: Follow Follow Follow the Yellow Brick Road

Charles Perry Locke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>From: Dave Hansen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>>Perry wrote:

Mormons, on the other hand, have probably heard these prooftexts since
they were little tykes, and maybe even were taught them in Sunday School,
and I'll bet that most Mormons (and possibly yourself) have never tried to
place the text it in it's Biblical context, then compare it back to the LDS
doctrine they are trying to support. That would be almost impossible for a
good Mormon to do so. Plus, there is a good reason not to do that. To do so
might reveal that the scripture indeed has nothing to do with the doctrine.
In fact, it might reveal that the doctrine is not supported anywhere in the
Bible. And we can't have that. Nothing validates a false doctrine like a
text from the Bible to support it...no matter how twisted the text has
become in its interpretation.