Welcome to the forum Gregory.  You should know that Judy denies the Nicene Creed mostly based on bad exegesis on her part and a huge misunderstanding of the history behind the creed of all creeds.  Judy is also an Arian with a subtle split between God and Jesus.  She is vehement in denying the eternal Sonship of Christ (as are Terry, DavidM and sometimes Izzy) and also/therefore denies the Trinity – she does have some concept of the Godhead but not in the classical sense that Christians have believed as delivered by the apostles and church fathers.  In other words, Judy believes and practices many of the heresies that the Nicene Creed was developed for.  Although she has been asked three times for the statement of faith from her place of worship she refuses to send it (this is probably because of one or two reasons: one she may not attend a local assembly or two she knows that she is in deep conflict with it).  It is very difficult to get a hold of her theology and learn where it has been developed from.  Much of it is Calvinist (although she is completely unaware of this and has deep disdain for Calvin himself) and there are strains of covenant theology as well.  There is a deep hatred towards the Catholic Church which in her mind includes the church from the 2nd century forwards (in opposition to the church catholic).  She (as well as others on this forum) are against learning the Bible in the original languages and prefer the King James version. Attempts are finding out what the writer was trying to convey in the original languages are usually met with scorn.  She believes that humankind are mostly spirit beings and is deeply convinced that the Greek view (read non-Hebraic, non-biblical) of body, soul and spirit is Christian as well.  That being said, Judy knows her Bible better than most on this forum and will converse with you at length about almost anything; she will do her research.  She is also always sincere even when we sense that her tone is not.  Perhaps she is like the rest of us with our massive hodgepodge of beliefs.  If you check the archives there are a lot of posts on this matter of a number of people on this forum being outside of historical orthodoxy.  Those that are outside are awfully proud of it, wearing it as a badge of honor.  They will tell you that they put scripture first and in a way they do.  Unfortunately they put the Bible before Jesus Christ.  Without a proper hermeneutic (taking all things and subjecting them to the Person of Jesus Christ [including the scriptures]) they end up practicing religion instead of a relationship.

Let us note that by accuracy or precision in knowledge is not meant some narrow Biblicist way of thinking and speaking about God.  Accurate or precise knowledge of God is not gained by stringing together biblical statements but by allowing our thought to be informed and determined by the truth of God to which they direct us.  To regard biblical statements as divine assertions does not mean that they are immediately intelligible, for they have to be interpreted in the light of the truth to which they refer, and in accordance with which our interpretations of them must be tested.  Hence we have to think out for ourselves what they mean in the light of that reference.  This does not mean that we have to leave behind the guidance of the Holy Scriptures through which alone God’s revelation is mediated to us, but that we refuse to be content with reproducing the mere letter of the biblical statements in our determination to rest our thinking and speaking upon the truth of God himself who addresses us through those biblical statements.  This means that we have to decide what we ourselves say of the truth under the direction of the biblical statements, and how we are to formulate our statements in such a way that they are established as true through their adequacy to the truth itself.  This involves what Athanasius called a ‘freedom of religious discourse’ on the basis of the Holy Scriptures when we pass beyond what they literally say to the truth of God which they convey, and seek to express that as accurately and precisely as we can.  And we dare not do that except in the most cautious and reverent way and with much prayer. (T.F. Torrance, The Trinitarian Faith, pg. 57)

I have read your posts with interest Gregory.  You are a welcome addition to this dysfunctional family.  I do not post much anymore but hope to converse with you in the future.  One easy way to get me out of the woodwork is to mention the Nicene Creed J

Jonathan

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Gregory A. Hession J.D.
Sent: Sunday, January 16, 2005 5:03 PM
To: TruthTalk@mail.innglory.org
Subject: Re: [TruthTalk] Good News!

The council of Nicea was a multiyear assembly of nearly every bishop in the church, bathed in prayer, and intent on dealing with heresy which had attempted to demean the nature of Christ.  I assume they got it right.  Do you have some specific disagreements with some of its precepts?  It isn't scripture, so I can understand your impulse to be wary.

Gregory A. Hession J.D.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Springfield, Mass.