This cool phenomenon is well-known but nonetheless interesting. There is a lot of redundancy built into linguistic systems to maximize communication, especially at the lowest levels of structure, like spelling and phonology. I have a phonological example of this, which I won't post because it really needs to be done out loud. It's a fairy tale told in real properly-spelled words, but the completely wrong words, totally unrelated words, so that none of the sentences make sense from the point of view of the written text. However, when read aloud with the right inflection, rhythm, and so on, the sounds are close enough (that is, you get enough phonological information) to understand the story. Of course, the context helps! Just one of the sentences on its own wouldn't likely be understood.

As you go up to higher levels of structure, i.e., the structure over a whole paragraph or longer text, the signals are more subtle and there is also less redundancy.

Debbie

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, April 16, 2005 12:02 AM
Subject: Re: [TruthTalk] [Fwd: [Fwd: Fw: FW: (no subject)]]

So that is where JD got his degree? Cmabrigde Uinervtisy

Terry Clifton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
John, you are not alone.
Terry

Typoglycemia

Don't delete this because it looks weird. Believe it or not you can read it .....

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid Aoccdrnig to  a rscheearch taem at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Such a cdonition is arppoiately cllaed Typoglycemia :)-

Amzanig huh? Yaeh and yuo awlyas thought slpeling was ipromtnant.