The term ANTI is a device for member protection from "TRUTHS that are NOT USEFUL"

DAVEH:   While that may or may not be the case (you took the quote out of context, and did not connect it to ANTI by the author.....so it is not possible to determine if that is what the author was suggesting), it does not lend any evidence to your claim that........

everyone witha criticism of the church an "ANTI"

..........So it remains, Kevin....are you going to admit to being wrong that EVERYBODY critical of the Church is an anti-Mormon?   Or are you going to continue promulgating that lie?

Kevin Deegan wrote:
Well first of all they are shocking!
"Some things that are true are not very useful."
some LDS bend the truth to fit the prophets
some LDS bend the prophets to fit the truth
Besides it is only their opinion right?

The term ANTI is a device for member protection from "TRUTHS that are NOT USEFUL"

Dave Hansen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
DAVEH:  Just how does any of what you posted below support your statement that.........

everyone witha criticism of the church an "ANTI"

..........Kevin?  To assume your limited observations qualify you to judge the proper meaning of the term has led you to a false conclusion.  Quoting the below material does not define anti-Mormon any more than it supports your erroneous assumption that you know better what the term means than the folks who coined it.  Do you recognize the error of your previous understanding of the term?

Kevin Deegan wrote:
DAVEH:  I'll ask again, Kevin........where did you get that........

Then why is everyone witha criticism of the church an "ANTI"

I have observed such.
It is not about TRUTH it is abouth Promoting the Church:

Apostle Oaks "My duty as a member of the Council of the Twelve is to protect what is most unique about the LDS church, namely the authority of priesthood, testimony regarding the restoration of the gospel, and the divine mission of the Savior. Everything else may be sacrificed in order to maintain the integrity of those essential facts. Thus, if Mormon Enigma reveals information that is detrimental to the reputation of Joseph Smith, then it is necessary to try to limit its influence and that of its authors." Introduction p. xliii f28 in Inside the Mind of Joseph Smith: Psychobiography and the Book of Mormon

1981, Apostle Boyd K. Packer made these comments:

There is a temptation for the writer or the teacher of Church history to want to tell everything, whether it is worthy or faith promoting or not. Some things that are true are not very useful.

Historians seem to take great pride in publishing something new, particularly if it illustrates a weakness or mistake of a prominent historical figure....

The writer or the teacher who has an exaggerated loyalty to the theory that everything must be told is laying a foundation for his own judgment....

That historian or scholar who delights in pointing out the weaknesses and frailties of present or past leaders destroys faith. A destroyer of faith... places himself in great spiritual jeopardy. He is serving the wrong master, and unless he repents, he will not be among the faithful in the eternities...

In the Church we are not neutral. We are one-sided. There is a war going on and we are engaged in it. (Brigham Young University Studies, Summer 1981, pages 263-64, 266-67)

In 1985, after Dialogue published my article "LDS Church Authority and New Plural Marriages, 1890-1904," three apostles gave orders for my stake president to confiscate my temple recommend.... I was told that three apostles believed I was guilty of "speaking evil of the Lord's anointed." The stake president was also instructed "to take further action" against me if this did not "remedy the situation" of my writing controversial Mormon history.... I told the stake president that this was an obvious effort to intimidate me from doing history that might "offend the Brethren" [i.e., the highest leaders of the church]... The stake president also saw this as a back-door effort to have me fired from BYU.... I find it one of the fundamental ironies of modern Mormonism that the general authorities who praise free agency, also do their best to limit free agency's prerequisites - access to information, uninhibited inquiry, and freedom of _expression_. (Faithful History: Essays on Writing Mormon History, Edited by George D. Smith, 1992, pages 90-93, 95)

Faithful History, pg 103 footnote 22 Michael Quinn called into the office of Apostle Boyd K. Packer: When Elder Packer interviewed me as a prospective member of Brigham Young University's faculty in 1976, he explained: "I have a hard time with historians because they idolize the truth. The truth is not uplifting; it destroys. I could tell most of the secretaries in the church office building that they are ugly and fat. That would be the truth, but it would hurt and destroy them. Historians should tell only that part of the truth that is inspiring and uplifting."

Dave Hansen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
DAVEH:   I've explained my definition on TT previously, and several times today.   While I don't disagree with Linday's definition, I think if was awkwardly stated.

    Now......I'm glad to hear you agree that you would qualify (by my definition) of being an anti-Mormon.  Do you fully understands how that distinguishes you from another TTer (perhaps Lance or Terry) who shares your dislike of LDS theology, but has a different intent and way of discussing it on TT?

    The reason I mention this is to explain why I would treat you differently when I chat with you, compared to when I have a discussion with somebody who isn't anti-Mormon.  With you, I have to be very careful in what I say, and how I say it.  Why....because whatever I say I expect you will take it apart any way you ca n and t hen toss it back at me in a denigrating or mocking way.  In the very least, I would expect a combative attack on whatever I share with you.

    With the other two (and most TTers, for that matter), I can be much more casual and open, knowing that though they may disagree, they will have a measured amount of respect for me as a fellow TTer and not go out of their way to be disrespectful to my beliefs, even though they may strongly disagree with them.  Does that make sense, Kevin?

    IOW.....I don't mind sticking my nose out a bit if I know that folks aren't going to be taking sucker punches at it.   But I am sure reluctant to do so when a person avowed to giving those punches is trying to set me up.  I think that's the value of labeling some people as anti-Mormon.  It identifies those who are trying to get a jab in at any cost.

    So......at the risk of drawing a rebuke from the moderator , I would label both you and Perry as anti-Mormons.  If there are others, they do not come across that way to me.  (There have been some in the past, but I don't know they are still on the list.)  I do this not to put you down, nor do I intend to denigrate your character.  I do it merely to categorize you in such a way that I can respond to you and Perry in an appropriate manner.

    BTW Kevin......you never did answer my question....

DAVEH:  I'll ask again, Kevin........where did you get that........

Then why is everyone witha criticism of the church an "ANTI"

.......Any chance you will do so now, or admit that you were wrong in your assessment?   Or....is expecting an apology just wishful thinking on my part?

Kevin Deegan wrote:
OK
So am I an ANTI?
why or why not
Any ANTi's on TT?

Do you accept Lindsay's definition?

Dave Hansen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
DAVEH:  I did....me.   But let me give you another, as you probably think of me as being somewhat an angel.....     O:-)

    I have a friend who was excommunicated from the Church for moral sins, and remains a non member to this day.  He is disabled, and is relatively bitter about how life has treated him over the years, including the Church.  He has over the years criticized the Church and many of its leaders, blaming them for the difficult position he perceives the Church has dealt him.  What is the Church's reaction to his harsh complaints?.......it continues to pay his rent and provide a lot of his sustenance on a regular basis.

    I am in a position where I can see both sides of the fence.  He is not tryin g to pu blicly embarrass the Church....he just continually gripes about what he thinks the Church should do to help him.  Does the Church consider him an anti....not for a second.  From the Church's perspective, he's a child of God with needs that sometimes (frequently) are difficult to accommodate.

    Kevin, I've tried to explain to you (or perhaps it was Perry) before how LDS folks define anti-Mormon.  But for some reason you guys must not want to believe me.  Let me quote another LDS guy (Jeff Lindsay) of his understanding of the meaning.....

What is an anti-Mormon? Anyone who disagrees with you?

This is a poorly defined term, but I would say that only the activists who attack the Church in a way intended to generate misunderstanding, fear, and shock are the ones who deserve the epithet of "anti-Mormons." Many such "Mormon bashers" feel that the end justifies the means, and use tactics that are incompatible with the tru thful example of Christ.

There is plenty of room for decent people to disagree with us. Most Protestants and Catholics who disagree with us are not "anti-Mormons" but simply people of another denomination. But when someone strives to stir up anger toward the Church and relies on misinformation or half-truths, then I'm inclined to apply the anti-Mormon label--especially when they do it for a living. On the borderline are well meaning people who feel an evangelical duty to battle "cults" (which tend to be any group that disagrees with them) and write articles regurgitating the sensationalist and shocking diatribes of full-blooded anti-Mormons. I tend to call such critics anti-Mormons as well (I sense that they usually don't mind the title, unless they are posing as "loving friends of the Mormons" in order to launch more effective assaults on our faith). Those of other faiths who disagree with us and engage in civil discourse with us about their differences are u sually not "anti-Mormons" but perhaps simply critics or just adherents of a different faith.
http://www.jefflindsay.com/LDSFAQ/FQ_antis.shtml

.......Now, does........

Most Protestants and Catholics who disagree with us are not "anti-Mormons

..........sound to you that everyone witha criticism of the church an "ANTI"???  If not, then why do you persist in trying to get other TTers to believe such?  Isn't that simply trying to spread an untruth?

Kevin Deegan wrote:
Why don't you just list just ONE critic who has NOT been called an ANTI. That would seem to be an EASY TASK!

Dave Hansen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
DAVEH:  That's an awfully lot of reading, Kevin.  Why don't you just spare me the exercise by quoting the parts that support your statement that......

everyone witha criticism of the church an "ANTI"

.......Otherwise it would appear you are being purposefully deceptive by continuing to promote an untruth.

Kevin Deegan wrote:
I will refer you to a LDS site:

How about Spotting an Anti-Mormon Book

Dave Hansen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
DAVEH:  I'll ask again, Kevin........where did you get that........

Then why is everyone witha criticism of the church an "ANTI"

........definition?  When you make a pat statement like that, a lot of TTers may believe you.  Sometimes I think you just make things up.  Is this one of those times? And, IF you made it up, does that make you a liar?

Kevin Deegan wrote:
Anyone who is is active and speaks out is labeled.
Those inside the "church" gety EX'ed
Or gets put on the list
Watch out.

Dave Hansen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
DAVEH:  Where did you get that definition, Kevin?  I don't view it that way at all.  If it were so, then I would be considered to be an anti!

Kevin Deegan wrote:
Then why is everyone witha criticism of the church an "ANTI"
Any relation to critics of Homo Sex behavior being called bigots?

Dave Hansen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
DAVEH:  Perhaps we aren't as insecure as some might suppose.

Kevin Deegan wrote:
This has to do with my question for Blaine as to why the LDS are so insecure that they need to call people "ANTIS"
Of course there was no reasonable answer.

-

--
Dave Hansen