Welcome, L. Betz.
I appreciate your response, but you left me hanging. Tell us about you. Am I conversing with a man or a woman? New here, or have you been lurking? It was a pleasant surprise to hear from a new voice. Hope you aren't too critical of dysfunctional people because everyone on this group fits that description.

Back to the subject of profane and cursing. After reading these dry definitions, what have you personally concluded? Is all profanity cursing? Is all cursing profane? How about minced oaths? My own thoughts are not nailed down in this area with a couple of exceptions. Those being that: 1.Christians should not use any language that would offend a brother or sister in Christ. 2. You have to expect lost people to behave and speak as lost people. ( It would be really stupid to go into a cell block housing the dregs of society and be offended by the language used there.)
3.  Profanity is a strong way of displaying a weak mind.

Having offered these gems, let me point out that my opinion and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee at a cheap restaurant. In other words, my opinion is unimportant. I want to know what God thinks in this area. This is especially important as I try to disciple another man who seems to me to be way too casual with the use of profanity for a self described Christian.
Terry

LBetz wrote:

According to www.dictionary.com, the adverb "bloody" is given the following definition: 1.. Chiefly British Slang. Used as an intensive: "Everyone wants to have a convict in his bloody family tree" (Robert Hughes).
 2..
 adv.
 Chiefly British Slang. Used as an intensive: bloody well right.
Also, the word profanity is given 2 definitions
pro·fan·i·ty    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (pr-fn-t, pr-)
n. pl. pro·fan·i·ties
 1.. The condition or quality of being profane.
 2..
   1.. Abusive, vulgar, or irreverent language.
   2.. The use of such language
n : vulgar or irreverent speech or action

The following link gives us some insight into the origin of the slang word "bloody": http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mbloody.html Interesting anyway!

The Word says "If anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new." (2 Corinthians 5:17)

"The inward man is being renewed day by day." (2 Corinthians 4:16)

"As the truth is in Jesus: that you put off, concerning your former conduct, the old man which grows corrupt according to the deceitful lusts, and be renewed in the spirit of your mind, and that you put on the new man which was created according to God, in true righteousness and holiness." (Ephesians 4:21-24)

Kat
----- Original Message ----- From: "Terry Clifton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>