----- Original Message -----
Sent: March 11, 2006 22:35
Subject: Dylan

Watching the Dylan documentary reminded me how much I like that music. Not just Dylan but Pete Seeger (what a wonderful voice!), Woody Guthrie, Joan Baez. On the way downtown Friday night we listened to an old 70s album by a guy named Tom Rush, a forgotten name, consisting mostly of covers of songs by James Taylor, Neil Young, Murray McLaughlin, and other folk artists. It is one I bought recently on the Internet, having despaired of ever finding it in a store, and I like it more every time I listen to it. My cousin Tim, three years older than I and now helping the government on the Kyoto accord, introduced me to it.

All this made me think of Randy's jam sessions. They don't exactly do Dylan there, but I suddenly want to go to another one of those. This coming Friday there will be one; I think I'll go. If I do, I'll try the "1913 Massacre".

I also really liked hearing Dylan talk. His speech is ordinary. It is not like Sean Penn reading the biography--and I don't say that just to be irritating.

Oh--one more comment from The Stone Reader. He said, fairly early on, when describing his reading journey, that at the age of 40 he decided that not everything he started was worth finishing. A good lesson for me & Jonathan! :-)