From NT Wright  -- some comments that might help to put Paul and his thnking into a broader context.   jd

And the minute you think you’ve got him taped, ‘Here are his central ideas, bang, bang, bang’, you’ve made him boring, and Paul is never, ever boring. Now of course Jewish interlocutors - and I’ve had many, many conversations with Jewish friends and Jewish scholars that I’ve known, about Paul - Jewish scholars find Paul fascinating and frustrating, because he is deeply Jewish. He isn’t in that sense moving away from Judaism in the sense of inventing a non-Jewish religion. Paul is absolutely soaked in Judaism. But he is soaked in a Judaism seen through the filter of a crucified and risen Messiah, and that means that he says Judaism has to change. Well actually he says ‘God is transforming what it means to be a genuine Jew’ and that’s the really, really, scary thing because he now says anyone can join. A non-Jew can be just as welcome in the family of God as a Jew. But this for Paul, is paradoxically a very deeply Jewish thing to say. Because you’ll notice that one of the most striking traditions that authentic Judaism has is cr itique from within, whether it’s new rabbinic movements or different teachers or Shabbatai Zvi or whoever it is, critique from within is part of the maturity and wisdom of genuine Judaism. And Jesus believed I think, that he was offering a critique from within. John the Baptist certainly did, and I think that’s exactly where Paul is too. So I would say to Jews who are worried by Paul, ‘Well you do well to be worried because he is an explosive thinker. He isn’t a tame thinker, you can’t just invite him into the house and expect him not to rattle the teacups a bit.’ But when you stick with him, you will see that he really does believe that this is the true fulfillment of what the promises to Abraham and so on, and the Law of Moses, were really all about. And to Catholics I would say ‘Let’s grow up together in our reading of the New Testament. Paul is just as much a Catholic thinker as he is a Protestant thinker. I taught a course on St Paul in the Gregori an University in Rome four years ago, and I found nothing but excitement for understanding more of what this great man is all about. We Protestants belittle Paul, the Catholics have marginalised him, the Jews are afraid of him, let’s just get together and read the man again, and we’ll find that he’ll lead us all forward.