Hi,
we just did the first commit of a new module named 'network' [1]. The
module is intended to allow describing the IT infrastructure with the
flexibility of having physical machines, virtual machines inside them,
applications, services, raids, hard drives and relate them easily with
the same mechanism provided by the party_relationship module. Things
are not always hierarchical: for example, a server can have two hard
drives but they are also shared by the RAID of the server so you need
links between all elements (RAID, hard drives and server).

It also allows the user to define attributes to each network item
acording to its type. For example, "eth0 from server X" will be of
type "Network Interface" and as such can have IPs, Card Model, Serial
number, whatever.. This' been implemented with the dict field (just
like product_attribute module).

The thing is that the resulting module is very generic and I'm
thinking that it might make sense to name it "asset" and use it to
define not only IT elements but any kind of asset of a company.
Indeed, I'd say it's very similar to the basic structure a CMMS [2]
provides. I'm thinking each asset could have (with an extra module) a
m2o to stock.lot and (with another module) a o2m to account.asset.

Thoughts?

[1] https://bitbucket.org/nantic/trytond-network
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computerized_maintenance_management_system

--