I do not know if there are cases that tax rule lines need to be defined to change children taxes. Or always the tax rule lines change the main taxes (taxes without any parents).

For example in the Spain case, only main taxes (taxes without any parents) are defined in the tax rule lines. I do not know if there are some cases in other countries that changes children taxes in tax rule lines. If not, I think it would help a lot when a tax rule is defined manually if a domain like

['parent', '=', null]

was added in origin_tax and tax fields in account.tax.rule.line [1]

[1] http://hg.tryton.org/modules/account/file/290e29ebf59f/tax.py#l1335

--
Jordi Esteve
Consultor Zikzakmedia SL