My mistake, I was attempting to install sao as root. There are many docs that
say not to. So I ran npm install --production as a non-root user, and sao
installed without errors.

@Cedric; I installed the patch you suggested, and now I do not get redirected
back to /index.html. But /tryton is still not working. When configure apache
like this:

ProxyPass /tryton http://127.0.0.1:8000
ProxyPassReverse /tryton http://127.0.0.1:8000

I can access mysite.com/tryton and there are no errors, but there is no
javascript and no css. I cannot log in. There is no select db field.

When configure apache like this:

ProxyPass / http://127.0.0.1:8000

I can access mysite.com/ and I get the Tryton javascript forms to log in. I
select the db, log in, and navigate around Tryton. It is GREAT! So with the
patch applied, Tryton works great when it's root is "/".

It seems the patch prevents a redirect to /index.html, but does not serve the
static files when Tryton/SAO web root is a subdirectory.

I am happy to try any new or different patches to make this work. I can be your
laboratory :)

Many thanks!
Paul

Many thanks,