> Right now I have different classes of equipment using
> different syslog facilities to allow me to split up the logs.  Is
> there a way to have syslog log everything except a certain facility to
> /var/log/messages without having to explicitly list everything that I
> do want logged?

If I understand your question correctly, the answer is yes.  In
syslog.conf, a line such as:

*.*;local3.none     /var/log/messages

will put all log messages in to the file except for those that come
from the local3 facility.  The same thing is accomplished by:

*.*;!local3.*       /var/log/messages

Is this what you're asking?

--
Jon Beck, PhD                             mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Assoc Professor, Computer Science              2162 Violette Hall