From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Chad Tatro
Sent: Thursday, December 18, 2003 1:21 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [tslug] Linux PVR

I have a system at home that I'm considering setting up as a Personal Video
Recorder (PVR) to record shows off of DirecTV or local channels if I need to
"tape" something.  Of course, I don't want to spend any more money either.
:-)

I've looked some at the Freevo project, but have not yet attempted anything.

Some of my system specs are as follows:
CPU:  AMD 900MHz (Thunderbird)
Video Card:  ATI All-in-wonder 32 MB AGP (Rage 128)
RAM:  384 MB
Hard Drive:  Only 6 GB now :-)  I know I need some better storage space if I
get serious about this.  I have another 6 GB available right now.
Notes:  Also have a CD burner available.  (Currently in another system but
could be moved).  No DVD burner.
Current OS:  RedHat Linux 9.0

I'm curious about any experience any of you have with setting up a PVR box.
It would be nice to eventually have something with a guide and live pausing,
but right now I'm just looking for recording (timer recording).

What tips and/or suggestions do you have?

BTW, I hope to someday set up one that can record in HD, but right now my
video card doesn't support that and I only have a handful of HD channels
anyway.

Thanks,
Chad