Nothing seemed to help so I killed my smbmounts. Yet, the mess still goes on.

If you did umount all of the samba mounts, see if it will let you delete the mount points?

I restarted my samba (init.d/samba restart). Did not help either.

Maybe init.d/samba stop....or even init.d/samba zap if your distro supports that...zap that silly samba into submission.

Because I had no idea what to do anymore I wanted to see what happens reloading my eth0 if. However, the script 'init.d/networking stop' tells me:

NOT deconfiguring network interfaces: NFS/SMB shares still mounted.

Maybe disable your auto-mounting of samba shares at boot...and reboot...then try to analyze the problem from that angle. Usually don't have problems with samba as a client tool....the server configuration tends to hate me though. :-(

Ross D.