I often edit in-place in the plugin directory and copy back to the source
directory when finished. But that's just me being lazy.

I started out this way with beta7, but the new goal caching mechanism in
beta8 seemed to defeat this approach for us. This seemed especially
error-prone if you added or renamed goals in your "live" plugin.jelly. With
beta8 we found it was better to get in the habit of using plugin:install to
ensure consistent registration of the plugin's revised goals.

Yep.

Renaming goals / adding goal etc will not be detected until you flush the caches.

Modified jelly script will be picked up straight away (well... as soon as maven restarts)