Hi everybody,

a while ago I commited a patch [1] for i18n in TG 1.1 that allowed
translatable strings in Genshi templates to be collected with "tg-admin
i18n collect".

The current function does not collect any strings within Python
expressions, because with the Genshi Translator filter [2] you do not
need to wrap your translatable strings in gettext function calls.

This works good so far, since the Translator filter is automatically
added in the Genshi renderer by TurboGears [3]. But in the interest of
easy porting of Kid templates it would be nice to also support strings
in gettext function calls. So I created a patch [4] to collect them.

But it will currently lead to an error when you actually use gettext
function calls (e.g. ${_(u'Translatable string')}) in your Genshi
templates, because the gettext function ('_') is not injected into the
template namespace yet.

I tried to figure out how this is done for kid, but the i18n code is so
convoluted, I didn't succeed yet. Can anybody point me in the right
direction?

Do you all think this is a worthwhile enhancement or should we just
document how to use i18n in Genshi templates without explicit gettext
function calls?

Chris

[1] http://trac.turbogears.org/changeset/5799
[2] http://genshi.edgewall.org/wiki/Documentation/0.5.x/i18n.html