Might be possible.
I vaguely remember that the Provider supports sorting for related entities
based on the field names on SQLAlchemy (but not non Mongo).
The root of the feature is implemented at
https://github.com/TurboGears/sprox/blob/master/sprox/sa/provider.py#L536-L560

If you are willing to experiment with what happens when that check is
removed I'm open to merging any pull request that might be required to get
rid of that limitation.