Thanks, Alessandro.  That makes sense, although I'm not sure it exactly
matches the behavior.  Since a private window works, it does seem
cookie-related.  On the other hand one user was able to log in during
testing, but then later was not.  He said it was the same browser on the
same computer.  Since I can't duplicate the problem, it's very hard to
diagnose.  I wound up pointing Apache at our Central Authentication Service
(CAS), and skipping the Turbogears authentication entirely.  That at least
has the advantage of two-factor authentication.

Best,
Matthew