Jeremy

Thanks for the detailed reply.

Geronimo has private lists for stuff under NDA and has had various
people on different expert groups (e.g. a couple of us were on JSR-220).
In general, there are a lot of Apache projects that work with the JCP
and deal with the closed nature of JSRs - Tomcat, Portal, Axis come to mind.

1) Apache is a member of the JCP. Apache is not a member of the SCA
spec group. (Whose name I don't even know.)
2)  I believe that the only geronimo private list is for the TCK, and
only used for TCK compliance tests and results. I'm not sure that
there is a good analogy as there is no Spec based IP being donated to
that list. Furthermore it took a long time to clear up the IP issues
between the JCP and Apache. I have no faith that that model is
transferrable without legal review.

Apache projects also provide functions over and above published
specifications, features that are relevant to the users and developers
of the project. Sometimes those innovations get picked up and included
by specification bodies - open source shaping the future.

That is great. The code we write in Apache is completely open and
guaranteed by the ICLAs that users commit code under, and by the
Apache License.

We just had an
example of this with Tuscany where thoughts on a recursive structure
(which have been in mind since before we came to Apache) contributed to
a significant change in the specification.

Cool. Glad to hear it. I am very pleased by this because I hoped that
Tuscany would feel free to innovate beyond the published SCA spec.

As a project, we can continue to implement a now-obsolete draft from
last year, or we can innovate, influence

Yes we can innovate and influence. That goes from Apache -> Spec
Group, which is fine.

and track the specs

That is the concern, if we are tracking unpublished specs. If you are
under an NDA with the spec group, then you may not have had the right
to contribute the code that you contributed to the sandbox. As no-one
has yet answered my questions about the the IP arrangements of the
spec group this is pure supposition. Maybe someone will get round to
answering those questions. Or maybe the NDA is under NDA and no-one is
allowed to post that information here :-)

Paul

--
Paul Fremantle

http://bloglines.com/blog/paulfremantle